At some point in your business (often sooner rather than later), you will need to hire the first person for your new team.
While this is super exciting, it is also something that many people approach with fear and trepidation.
Usually when you start your own business, you don’t plan to have to recruit and manage a team. It can bite you on the butt and take you by surprise ! Here are some super useful tips that you can utilise to make the process easier.
- – From when you start your business, begin to plan what kind of role you want someone to step into.
- – Be uber clear about your own ‘sweet spot’.
- – Hire someone who is all those things you are not!
- – Culture, Culture, Culture. What are the things that are most important to you? Look for them in prospective employees.
- – Remember people come in all shapes and sizes and skillsets, with all sorts of needs: casual, parttime, fulltime, independent contractor. The list is endless, get some advice on this if you need it.
- – At least attempt a Position Description, doesn’t have to be bells and whistles but something that guides the process.
- – Hire slow, fire fast. Take your time to get the right person then you’ll never need to get the second person.
- – Start informal conversations with people you think would fit in your business early.
- – Trust your gut, hire just before you think you need to.
- – Know your people well and work out what motivates them, if ownership is on the table have the conversation early.
- – Make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as an employer. THISis a great resource for Australian-based employers.
If all else fails, ask for help, there are people that do this stuff for a living and can support you and make the process easy!
Good luck creating the most awesome team imaginable.